Friday, August 13, 2010

A Reflection on Research; Highlights of My Learning

I started the Lamar/Academic Partnership program out of a sort of ennui, an intellectual boredom, and not as a means of climbing any career ladders. The format of the program intrigued me and a master's degree is an immediate pay raise, after all, even while I remain in the role of Special Educator. Reflecting now, I have never been as challenged as during the last eleven courses. Throughout my life I have read, researched, and shared regularly, but there has never been a coherence or plan to my approach. When my investigations have turned up information arguably very important to school improvement or even just interesting, I have lacked a framework for sharing that information in an approachable and digestible way not to even get into the lack of research structure. So, without a doubt the most powerful, applicable thing I have learned during this course is the action-research model, itself.
While the professional application of action research has been the purpose of this particular class, the broad spectrum of possible applications is positively intoxicating. When developing possible research topics, my first thoughts were about special education students - life skills, specifically. "What effect does regular exercise incorporated into the class-day have on learning/cognitive performance and/or disruptive behaviors?" I did not choose this topic solely because it does not readily lend itself to administrative practice. However, outside of this class - yet thanks to this class, I am able to develop an action research plan on this exact topic which can then be shared with the general population of special education teachers. Further, I can see community/neighborhood applications abound. "How can a community of neighbors maintain the social coherence required for effective 'tribal' child-rearing? What are the benefits/limitations of this style of community behavior?" Community organization is a growing and vibrant field of study and action-research can be an invaluable tool in improving our community/social-fabric. While conducting research for this class I have encountered both amazing resources, like the Center for Collaborative Action Research at Pepperdine University (http://cadres.pepperdine.edu/ccar/index.html), and inspiring areas for future academic growth, like the Peabody College at Vanderbilt's Ph.D. program in Community Research and Action (http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/x3689.xml). While perhaps not necessarily in line with this course's stated goals, these resources/veins of study certainly demonstrate the power of action research as a tool.
I, like many people, feel more comfortable with a framework to follow. The action research model has a basic structure with flexibility and variations available; exactly what I/we need. However, for improvement to take root there has to be at least an acceptable level of quality in study construction, execution, and presentation. While the C.A.R.E. Model (Concerns, Affirmations, Recommendations, and Evaluations) is a solid tool for action-research development, it doesn't directly look at quality. (Harris, et al. 2010.) Dana's Quality Indicators, on the other hand, are exactly what is needed; "quality" is right there in the name! They provide an excellent tool "to gain insights that you can apply to your next action research cycle." (Dana, 2009.) The action research cycle is the aspect of the process where improvement becomes an ongoing, "living" endeavor; therefore, its' success is predicated by a need for quality, making Dana's Quality Indicators an excellent partner to the action research process.
One last highlight of my learning in EDLD 5301 is gleaned from the discussion board format. Discussion, as a means of improving any practice, depends on honest, critical input. Face-to-face communication is inherently constrained by physical and temporal limitations; you have to be in the same place at the same time. Taking the discussion into the electronic format allows us to slip free of the boundaries of time and space or, at the least, finesse them. The written postings allow participants the time to digest and reflect, facilitating more in-depth conversation, while the online nature allows participation from anywhere with connectivity. While I have yet to use an online meeting/discussion format in the workplace, I can see great power in its' use.

Applicability being the measure, the action-research model, Dana's Quality Indicators, and the online discussion format are my identified highlights of this course. In my opinion, these three learnings have made EDLD 5301 one of the most productive classes in the Lamar/Academic Partnership program. They are immediately applicable in my professional life, my personal life, and in my own activist ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment